Its my choice!

Social Service through bollywood movie reviews.

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Omkara



Rating: 6/10
When I walked out of the cinema, I thought it was a 4.5/10, thinking overnight I thought it deserves a bit more. Strong language and a mix of Haryanvi and Bihari/UP accent didn’t go down well with me for a change! What I liked about the movie was that a lot of hard work and dedication has gone in to it by everyone involved. But the movie on the whole lacks pace and appears to be about 7 hour long. Two sizzler item numbers with Bipasha Basu stands out, along with the title song. Saif Ali Khan as Langda Tyagi exceeded my expectation, but still is a bit unconvincing with his accent, although his hair style and persona looks good for the role. Playing a role with darker shade is not alien to Saif, watch his ‘Ek Hasina thi” a classic. Vivek Oberoi as Kesu Firangi reminds a bit about his debut performance but goes no where near his best. Kareena to be honest did well, although I have never liked her. Konkana Sen fitted her role well. Ajay Devgan as Omkara did well, another cool performance from him. The movie is marketed as Vishal Bharadwaj’ interpretation of ‘Othello’, so nothing new there with the story as it sticks to it. He had earlier made a classic Maqbool (based on Macbeth). Notice the O-O and M-M connection! If my trusted bollywood crazy friends are to be believed then a few more interpretation of Shakespeare’s great are on the way from Vishal. Next time I will wait for the DVD to come out. Considering the O-O and M-M connection I think ‘Hamlet’ might be named ‘Hamara Gaon’ or maybe ‘Hamra Gaon ki Kaanhi bhaiyya’.
Verdict: Wait for the DVD to come out, then wait for your friend to buy it

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would rate it as 2/10. The movie contains stron language which is a put off for me.

7:24 am  
Blogger girish said...

Star News: The film has 43 badwords, and the dialect is west UP, however its filmed entirely in East UP...if it matters!

12:57 pm  
Blogger Sandeep Meher said...

O thik hai... what is M?

5:10 pm  
Blogger girish said...

M(acbeth) M(aqbool)

2:45 am  
Blogger girish said...

Quite a few people have said they loved this film...but all of them watched it on telly while I paid £21 for 3 ticktes plus £5 worth of pop corn probably the differentiating factor...I guess ;-)

12:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home