Its my choice!

Social Service through bollywood movie reviews.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Zinda



Rating 9.0/10
Beware! This movie really hits you hard, saw it last night and couldn’t get it out of the mind the whole night. I haven’t seen the original Hollywood version ‘Old Boy’ but would like to see that now. Sanjay Dutt fits the role to the T. If you haven’t seen it I don’t want to spoil the fun by saying, who the other actor is. I will just refer to him by his screen name Rohit, who’s acted well too, for a change, and can be pardoned for some of his recent outings. Imagine you are a software engineer, offshore in Bangkok, married to Celina Jaitley (man we are getting spoilt for choice these days, after I got over Madhuri, it’s very difficult to find a heroine who holds your attention), and then one morning, you wake up and find yourself locked up in a cell not sure for how long? ...Not sure for what? ...eat the same food everyday, and count the years role by….14 years!....I do not like to reveal the story in my reviews, so I will stop right here. The movie holds your attention from start to finish, is well paced and very slick. All actors have played their part well, except maybe Lara Dutta who initially feels a bit out of place, but makes up for it later. The feel of the movie will remind you of Musafir, Kaante and Ek Ajnabee (Ek Ajnabee is another must watch brilliant movie which warrants a separate review itself, but in short, if you are an AB fan, take my word and just watch it).
Verdict: A must watch

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandeep Meher said...

it is indeed must-watch. sanjay dutt is brilliant and the movie has come out to be a fantastic thriller. timelines and references skewed, though. but entertainment to the core.

10:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally got around to watching this and was disappointed to see that it was basically a scene-by-scene remake of the original with hardly any originality.
There were a couple of minor differences - in OldBoy, Lara Dutta's character was a chef and the Sanjay Dutt character's daughter was 3/4 years old when he get's imprisoned.
The one major difference, of course, is the reason for the imprisonment and although I can understand why this was changed, its not as convincing.
To be fair, if I had seen this movie without seeing Old Boy, I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more and appreciated Sanjay Dutt's acting as well. But overall I just felt that this was an inferior version which should never have been made.

5:08 am  
Blogger girish said...

man you surely are disappointed....I must see 'Old Boy' now

5:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you'll like Old Boy as much as I did. While watching Zinda, I was quite often tempted to press the fastforward button because I knew exactly what was going to happen in that scene. You might feel the same way when watching Old Boy.
Also, I think it will be easier for you to guess what happens at the end now that you've seen Zinda.
But don't let that stop you from watching it. Give it a try and if possible post a review here.

7:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home